Tips...And I Don't Mean Advice

So, it just dawned on me that on top of the $98473534502385 we're spending on wedding vendors to throw the party of the century, we have to tip these people, too. Great.

Look, it's not that I'm cheap and don't want to show a little additional appreciation for a job well done. I spent a good portion of my life in service-related fields and know how important those extra duckets can be to a person's livelihood. It's just that we're completely tapped out of funds.

As it is, we're scraping the bottom of the barrel to cough up enough money to pay these folks on our wedding day. Where are we supposed to find additional money to tip these people?

Oh, and what's an appropriate tip for a photographer? A maĆ®tre d’? A videographer? If y'all come back and say the usual 20% tip, I'm making an appointment at the nearest fertility clinic to sell my eggs. If I'm lucky, maybe they can squeeze me in over the next few weeks.

Deer Donna said... October 19, 2011 at 8:02 AM

yikes, i wouldn't tip them.. but we don't tip anyone here in australia heheh lucky us?! YES!

Jennifer said... October 19, 2011 at 8:30 AM

I know how you feel. We were spending as little as possible on everything. Here is what we did:

Photog/Video: They were the same co. We figured if the owner was the one who stayed the whole time, he doesn't get as big of a tip. But since he didn't and it was one photog and one video ...we gave them about $100 I think. Maybe $120. NOT 20%!

Maitre D' : We did not have one of these since ours was in a restaurant. The normal tip for the place was 20% and we stuck to that since, hello...20% was quite a bit of money.

Hair: I gave her about 20% I think.

Makeup: 20% or so. Maybe a little more because Jill is so super awesome and was doing so much for me to prep for that day.

Florist I think I gave about $20 when he got to my hotel room with my flowers.

We did not tip bakery (they got there so early, so no one was around to give them one) or Reverend.

Barby said... October 19, 2011 at 8:37 AM

Hi
Check out this article- which I often it as a reference about tipping wedding vendors.

Mrs.Hancock said... October 19, 2011 at 9:46 AM

We tipped the DJ - cause he was a friend and gave us a discount. I also tipped the hair/makeup ppl and the photographer. I did not tip our Maitre D', 1-bc it was included in the cost and 2- bc he sucked. Sorry, I really didn't like him. Didn't tip the videographer come to think of it woops. But we did tip the photographer bc she was a friend and traveled from Rhode Island to shoot the wedding. It's really up to you discretion. Some people say yes, some say you don't have to. Def. use theknot article that Barby posted, very helpful.

isabug said... October 19, 2011 at 5:10 PM

I hope other photographers don't hate me for this, but I think it's pretty much 50/50 for tipping. It's never expected and if anything is given it's just a nice little cherry on top.

Vivian said... October 19, 2011 at 9:49 PM

Don't tip! Their prices are already set to cover their work and any extras. Now if they go above and beyond in their job performance arrange for something else like a thank you gift or something. You can handle that when you come back from the honeymoon.

Sara Bell said... October 19, 2011 at 10:23 PM

I once read that tips are not at all necessary in any field where a person makes more than minimum wage and are meant only as an additional thank you. I think half the weddings I've photographed have tipped me and half haven't, and while I certainly do appreciate the tips when I get them, I don't take it personally when I don't.

Caitlin said... October 23, 2011 at 1:34 AM

I don't think I tipped any of mine...my DJ came 3 hours late (not totally their fault) and messed up a ton of songs, so I didn't feel bad, haha (btw it didn't really matter, wedding was totally awesome without a good DJ). I don't think I tipped the photographer either. I've only gotten tipped at one wedding I photographed. Try not to worry too much about it!