New 'Do

I have never had an actual hair style. For the last 15 years, I have uttered these same words whenever I have found myself in a hair salon: I'd like it angled in the front with long layers. You guys, it's played out. I need a new 'do.

Besides, it's not like I actually do anything with the 29384750238957 feet of hair on my head anyway! Every day, I knot it up in a messy bun after I get out of the shower and there it sits. I never try to style it (not that I know how to) and I never leave it down. What's the use in having so much beautiful hair if it's just going to go to waste like that? So I want to chop it off.

I don't know if this is an I'm getting married and want to look like a grown-up thing or a I'm turning 30 next year and want to look like a grown-up thing, but either way, the fact remains...I want a new 'do.

I think that if I have an actual hair style, I'll be inspired to actually do something with it every day. I just throw my hair in a bun now because it's easy...and I'm lazy. You can't be lazy with a cute, short hair style. Truth.

I'm planning on writing (and completing) a 30 before 30 list after the wedding and chopping my hair off is definitely going to be on there. Since there's a lot of it, I want to donate it to charity. If any of you know of a good one, please let me know.

Oh, and I'm currently OBSESSED with Shannyn Sossamon's haircut in this picture (I'm really loving this one, too). I have NEVER had hair that short, but Wil seems to think that it'll look pretty cute on me. I'd like the record to reflect that this hair cut nonsense was all his idea; it "came to him" while we were riding the crosstown bus to visit his parents. Weirdo.

I'd like to be sporting my new hair 'do by the time we jet set to St. Maarten on our honeymoon (if you thought I was going to make this change before the wedding, SHAME ON YOU!). If you have any hair salon recommendations in NYC, suggestions for hair cuts for me or recommendations for ways to donate my locks, please let me know. This is going to happen...and soon. So scared, but so ready.

Anonymous said... October 27, 2011 at 8:23 AM

isabug said... October 27, 2011 at 9:19 AM

I've always been too scared to but my hair off, but I think it would look great on you! After the wedding sounds like a good idea too ;)

My salon, High Horse, used to give a free haircut if you were donating your locks so you might want to check if they still do that. They're really great stylists and I'm sure would be good with a short 'do.

They don't have a website, but you can look them up on Yelp. High Horse Salon - 11211.

Then get a tasty meal in Williamsburg. I have TONS of suggestions for that :)

Fun. Fit. Chic. said... October 27, 2011 at 9:44 AM

GO FOR IT! I love short hair and I go between long and short hair at least once every year. I don't know much about hair salons in NYC but you can start here with your donation search: http://www.locksoflove.org/donate.html

www.funfitchic.net

Annika said... October 27, 2011 at 9:46 AM

I love this idea! At first I was scared that you ment the chop would be BEFORE the wedding and I panicked for you a wee bit haha. AFTER the big day though sounds amazing! I'm a firm believer that having a pixie cut is kind of like living alone, everyone should do it at least once int their life!

A Sweet Release

MODERN MOM said... October 27, 2011 at 10:13 AM

I love the idea!!! I also put my curly hair in a bun!!! everyday! I like my sister have chopped off my hair to my shoulders or even shorter it grows back it's hair!!! DO IT!!!!

www.adventuresofmodermom.blogspot.com

Kathryn said... October 27, 2011 at 11:37 AM

Yeah, I was making this face (O.O) because I thought you were going to do that before the wedding. LOL!

I think that style will look great, but I'm going to warn you: you'll miss your long hair. I went from chest length to chin length, and all I could think about for the next year or so was ohmygodpleasegrowoutNOW. Like you said, short hair is definitely difficult to style. With my long hair, I can just wash it, let it dry, tie it into a bun sans hair tie, and then have some pretty waves after a few hours.

www.atavisions.com

Caitlin said... October 27, 2011 at 11:55 AM

As you know I have SUPER short hair and I gotta say, as far as laziness goes, it's tops! I get out of the shower, kind of maneuver it all forward and swept to the side with some Aveda product and I'm good to go. With long hair I had to do a *lot* more work...straightening, curling, de-frizzing. If I didn't do any of that it ended up like that first picture you have up there.

I will say that sometimes I miss my long hair. I tried to grow it out a few months ago but I looked like Justin Bieber and I was CONSTANTLY touching my hair to feel the weird bumps and waves. I remembered why long hair used to drive me crazy, always sticking to my neck and making me feel hot, so I chopped it all off again.