Hair Today

Um, remember when I had my hair trial last month and was stupid excited about my awesome hairdresser and how amazing she made my head look? Well, I'm back to the drawing board.

It's my fault, really. I got so caught up in the fact that someone was willing to come to my home and do a hair trial that I forgot to inquire about her fee...which ended up being $650.

No, I didn't stutter. A couple of days after our beautiful day date, I texted the stylist and asked her what her day-of fee was and she quoted me six hundred and fifty US fucking dollars for 5 ladies (I'm paying for my bridesmaids, too). Okay, now, I admittedly don't know anything about hair, but $650 for 5 updos?! Sorry, but the makeup for my entire bridal party doesn't even cost that much! The hair was nice, but not that nice.

I honestly don't know where people get off jacking up their prices the minute you drop the wedding bomb. Look, just because we have enough money to get married doesn't mean we want to spend it all in one place, especially on something like hair. Yes, I'm a little concerned that I don't have a hair person in place for our wedding day, but no, I'm not going to let that scare me into an inflated hair contract.

Today I'm schlepping my veil and headpiece all the way to Washington Heights for another hair trial. I have a good feeling about this because, let's be real...Dominicans know how to do hair and I doubt they're going to charge me $92857034342735 for a fucking updo. Seriously.

Fun. Fit. Chic. said... October 6, 2011 at 10:29 AM

The girl who did our hair at this wedding (http://funfitchic.net/wp-content/uploads/2011/09/Friends.jpg) charged $75 a person and she came to the hotel room to do it. Let me know if you want her contact information. She did EVERYONE's Hair. Even the mom I think.

isabug said... October 6, 2011 at 10:32 AM

Yikes, that is expensive! Good luck with your new trial run :)

MODERN MOM said... October 6, 2011 at 10:34 AM

Hey Danielle check out my friend she is a make up artist and I believe she has done hair before for weddings. She is the one that did my most recent pin up look!!! not sure how much she charges but you can check her out. http://www.facebook.com/MAKEUPBYKELLYM that is her facebook page.

Kathryn said... October 6, 2011 at 12:12 PM

That is INSANE. Wow. That is the most outrageous price I've ever seen for something like that. $130 a hairstyle is just wrong. Maybe you could approach some current hair styling students about doing the up-dos? They're probably just as talented as a pro and at a fraction of the price!

www.atavisions.com

Louise C. said... October 6, 2011 at 3:55 PM

Hell Yeah!!! Dominicans can do hair!!! If today's trial doesn't work out (and I'm sure it will) I can recommend someone also.

www.louisecazley.blogspot.com

Micah said... October 7, 2011 at 5:24 PM

I hired 2 girls from a local salon and they did makeup and hair for 6 girls plus checking the guys hair (6 of them) for niceness for $250. Ha! I guess the difference is that I'm in Houston and not NY? $650 is definitely WAY too much! I also learned that everyone would've loved doing their hair alone with some guidelines by me- like up-dos with a little hair clip for each girl. So in the end I could've saved even that $250.

Sara Bell said... October 9, 2011 at 1:44 PM

I ended up doing my own hair. I had lived in the town I got married in for barely over a month so hadn't found anyone cheap enough and I couldn't afford to pay for someone from my old town to travel. I was sad about it, but now I really don't care at all. On the day of the wedding I was just so happy to be married that nothing else really mattered to me. =]
This is the exact reason I try to price so reasonably for wedding photography. I always feel so awful for people who say they didn't have a photographer because no one would do it for under $1,000. =[

Joy Ribisi said... October 10, 2011 at 10:04 PM

Holy fuck.

Fleur De Moi said... October 13, 2011 at 11:47 AM

Holy crap!!! That is ridic! It's really nice that you are paying for your bridesmaid's hair though. From ALL the times I have been a bridesmaid no bride has ever paid for the hair/make-up to be done. Super nice!