Mini-Meltdown

Our Bridesmaids' Dress in Navy Blue
I had a mini-meltdown yesterday over our wedding colors (navy blue and blush).  My mother-in-law (whom I love with all my heart) suggested that we revisit the color of the bridesmaids’ dresses to make the planning process a little easier. While I agreed with her, there was only one slight problem: pretty much everything has been planned.

Okay, maybe it wasn’t the best idea to have my fiancĂ©, a MAN, pick the color of the dresses in the first place, but I knew that the women involved in this wedding were going to pretty much dominate all the decision-making; I just wanted him to have a say in something.

I didn’t think that his “say” would be a navy blue dress. Whatever, yo. I’m amazing and over the past five months (with a little help from our readers), I’ve worked my baby brain to figure out a way to make the navy blue work with the black tuxes. The vision I have that’s been slowly coming together is a pretty one.

Everything is pretty much set, but I love Wil’s mom SOOO much that I had to give her concerns serious consideration anyway. My Love Cub was slightly miffed about his idea getting thwarted, but he backed off and let the women do their thing. Lissy and I agreed that the only way we would change anything about the bridal party’s attire was if we could do it without disturbing too many of the other plans.

Our Bridesmaids' Dress in Olive Green
I was totally freaking out while we were looking through color swatches AGAIN, but then we found a new color. A color that would work with our accent color. A color that wouldn’t require too many changes in our other decorations. A color that’s my FAVORITE color. Olive green.

When I saw the new dress on the computer screen, I knew that it would make my life SOOO much easier (sorry, Wil). I wouldn’t have to worry about the whole “navy blue and black just don’t mix” thing with olive green dresses and black tuxedos. This was a good thing…and my Love Cub liked it, too.

I was just about to send an email to my bridesmaids to tell them to hold off buying their navy blue dresses when I got a call from my BFF saying she had JUST bought her dress…and it was a final sale. Fuck, there goes that idea. My mini-meltdown was all for nothing and now I have a complex about our color scheme.

Honestly, what do you all think about navy blue and blush as wedding colors? Is this going to look okay? Do I have to consider divorce because Wil made such a horrendous decision? Should I pay off my BFF and go with the olive green dresses anyway? What to do, what to do…

GStruble said... May 19, 2011 at 8:06 AM

I'm not a fashion guru. So take my thought with a grain of salt.

Not everyone can wear olive green. More so than navy blue.

I like the navy blue, and as far as the black tuxes, reconsider those.

My wedding colors are cornflower blue and truffle. The guys aren't wearing black, they're wearing brown.

You can't ask the guys to wear blush suits, why not a tan or something? Then their accents [bowties, ties, cumber buns or whatnots] in navy blue will look pretty nice.

Just a thought! :)

Danfredo Rivera said... May 19, 2011 at 8:08 AM

That would be an AMAZING idea, Geri, except that Wil is BUYING his tux...and he wants to buy a BLACk tux. So, yeah. What do you have to say now?! LOL

GStruble said... May 19, 2011 at 8:13 AM

Okay, I can figure it out.

BUY a black tux, rent a different one for the wedding. Wear the black tux for the reception and after part and after after party.

At the reception, no one is going to care if he doesn't match the other guys.

And actually, he is supposed to stand out from the groomsmen. Why not let him wear the black tux with blush accents, they can wear the other color tuxes with navy blue accents.

Jennifer said... May 19, 2011 at 8:16 AM

I prefer the navy blue dress to the green one. It will compliment everyone's skin and body type better.
Navy blue will be fine with black tuxes, I don't get the issue..? They can have ties and vests that are navy or even blush pink to match what I'm guessing would be the flowers??
I think the navy would have been the choice between the green and that for most of the women too. Olive green can look crappy on so many skin tones.

Danfredo Rivera said... May 19, 2011 at 8:26 AM

All of my bridesmaids are beautiful and will look good in whatever color or dress we decide to put them in, so I'm not too worried about that. Am I totally off base with the whole "navy blue and black just don't mix" thing? I thought that was a fashion no-no!

That supposed faux pas is the justification behind making the groomsmen wear blush vests and ties (the ladies are carrying blush bouquets). If y'all know something I don't know, please fill me in. You can email me (danfredorivera{at}gmail.com) or post pictures on the Danfredo Rivera FB Fan Page (www.facebook.com/danfredorivera) if you have images of black and navy blue working in a wedding party.

liz hartnagel said... May 19, 2011 at 9:02 AM

Navy blue and black looks great.....hey where did the "black and blue" burger come from..(shrug). Actually those were the colors at my wedding(end of November 2004). Black tux with a navy vest....groom looked gorgeous. My maid of honor, a navy blue dress which had black velvet trim...double gorgeous! I will send you a pic of my Alex (son who gave me away) in his tux...stand by...have to scan.

Zoe said... May 19, 2011 at 9:10 AM

So I'm sitting here wearing black and blue and while the shades may not be perfect they dont look terrible.
How often have you worn dark blue jeans and a black top? ?

The dress isn't a perfect navy nor a perfect blue so it will work even better.
The sheen of the satin plus the richness /sheen off tuxedos will compliment.

If they were a royal blue I'd agree but they aren't.
And personally seeings as I have to wear one I prefer the blue.

Have you gone to store and put a person in dress and a person in the tux?
Relax!

Melissa Lopez said... May 19, 2011 at 9:24 AM

I think the navy blue n blush n black are perfect. I love olive green but not so much on a wedding party. Stick w. Wil

Nitzalie (Nit-sa-lie) said... May 19, 2011 at 9:36 AM

I'm going to say that I like the navy blue color much better than the olive green {sorry, Danielle}. I don't understand what the problem is either?? It's a wedding, I thought Black tuxes were a given? They certainly can't wear white? And I don't think I've ever been to a wedding where tan or brown tuxes were worn by the gents. In reality, all eyes are going to be on YOU. Your ladies will all look darling. And I honestly I don't think your guests will give the blue dress/black tux issue any thought, really;)

Lani said... May 19, 2011 at 9:47 AM

hey pretty lady - i love the navy blue too! Something to keep in mind also is that navy blue, especially satin, often looks like a much brighter (but beautiful and rich) blue in pictures (go look at celebrity photos of navy blue satin dresses if you don't believe me). As for the black tuxes, I don't think it's an issue. What I've read about navy and black not going together is that it only applies if the particular combo you're wearing looks like you got dressed in the dark. Since the people wearing navy blue and black will be different people, I don't think it's an issue. See how logical this discussion can be? LOL. I'm such a Virgo.

Jessica Cappella said... May 19, 2011 at 11:44 AM

While I totally respect your love and appreciation for your soon to be MIL....
Remember that this is YOUR Wedding. Her input is greatly appreciated...but DOES NOT need to be heeded. Please embark on this journey in whatever way you please :)
BTW... I LOVE the NAVY !!!

RolexBunandez said... May 19, 2011 at 12:12 PM

Dude, everyone will look stunning in the Navy, Poor Wil already put is imput in before the ladies took over. I think you should trust your love cub. The navy will look great, look into to it more about the black and blue. DON'T CHANGE IT. It really would look gorgeous. I'm excited to see the blue and blush business. and I agree with Jessica 100%

Alex Fernandez said... May 19, 2011 at 12:15 PM

Simply put, from a man's POV: Navy blue all the way, period, it looks nicer, stick with the blue Dannie.

Francesca said... May 19, 2011 at 10:30 PM

Navy blue is going to look great with the black tuxedos! Don't change it! But if you don't want to believe the novices, theknot did an article about it. I remember reading it when my I was helping a friend with some wedding planning. Their answer was that navy and black go great together and that is a chic and elegant color combo!

Yvonne said... May 20, 2011 at 9:06 AM

I love the dress in navy. That Grecian look is amazing. All the girls are gonna look great in it.

Freddie said... May 20, 2011 at 8:49 PM

Hi, this is your future MIL, who keeps butting in. I really didn't mean to get you stress out, but to tell you the truth my favorite color is blue. I just wanted to make sure that the colors will match.
But, now that I see more clearly that the arrangements that you had put together will bring out the colors.
I just want you and wil to have a beautiful and special wedding day.
And maybe I am trying to hard and should learn to relax.
P.S. Remember I would always try to give you the best opinions and would never feel insulted if you have a different view.
Love, Lissy

Anne said... May 22, 2011 at 10:42 AM

Hokay lady, the old saying that blue and black don't mix actually went out a couple of years ago. It can be achieved. However, if you're really concerned about your bridal party looking like walking black and blue marks, why don't you look into tuxedo's that have a blue hue to them instead of the flat black? It would be different yes, but so very unique. I'm not talking "Dumb and Dumber" blue, subtle navy blue tux's can look very dapper.

But, as people posted previously, the old faux pas of no black and blue together is no longer. You'd be fine no matter what! :)

Anne said... May 22, 2011 at 10:44 AM

From "theknot.com"

Bridesmaid Dresses: Navy Bridesmaid Dresses and Black Tuxes?
Q.
I've just started looking at bridesmaid dresses, and the navy blue ones I've seen look fabulous! Is it okay to have navy dresses on the bridesmaids and black tuxedos on the groomsmen, or is that a clashing fashion faux pas?

A.
Navy is an awesome color, and it looks absolutely chic against black. Like black, it hides everything and is completely elegant. What's more, it's a hue almost every woman wears well. You can't lose!